Wide Plank Plywood Flooring - An Economical Solution
Hi everyone!
My previous projection inward this room makeover was the installation of the sliding door for the closet. You tin banking corporation stand upward for all the details most that project HERE.
The flooring didn't await adept at that moment, I know. The carpeting had been removed too I painted the sub-floor, getting it create for the novel flooring.
The room used to receive got carpeting equally you lot tin run across inward the moving-picture present below (A earlier pic of the closet). It didn't await bad inward this pic, only believe me, later on xv years of role it needed to go.
My principal alternative for the carpeting replacement was hardwood floors. For most a yr I kept on tracking the prices for 3/4" - 4-5" planks, the lowest it went was $3.10/sq-ft. Not a bad toll only when adding other supplies + tools too having inward heed that I wanted to supplant the carpeting inward the entire 2nd grade of our home, the total cost would receive got been around $3,200. Still non a bad toll for an expanse of most 900 sq ft.
However, I went the DIY road because of savings. Having a daughter inward college too some other nipper rapidly approaching the same route, I receive got to salvage coin the most I can. And since this is the 2nd grade of our home, which is non used equally much equally the outset level, I thought using a lower grade fabric hither wouldn't live that bad.
I followed this tutorial from Addicted2Projects. You should banking corporation stand upward for too read all the valuable information they plow over if you lot actually desire to plow over the Wide plank Plywood Flooring a try.
This is my experience:
The material: Rough sheets of pino plywood I bought at Home Depot for around $23. For this room, which is the guinea squealer for this projection I bought five sheets. The adept people at hard disk ripped each of the plywood sheets inward 8" planks for free.
From each plywood canvass I got five planks that were just 8" wide, the lastly plank was most 7½" due to the amount of fabric the blade eats.
This fabric is rough, it has markings. When I was looking at this stuff at that spot inward the shop I was a fleck hesitant because it has lots of knots, rips too overall it didn't await nice. But having inward heed my inspiration, I went ahead too bought it. Besides I'm going for a rustic-industrial await inward this room. ;)
Once at abode the outset trouble was to plow over all the planks a adept sanding. I used 100 grid sand newspaper to shine out the move yesteryear business office too sides of each plank. The marks disappear later on some sanding.
The side yesteryear side stride is to select your stain. Those 2 boards inward the higher upward moving-picture present were sample boards. The 1 on the left was at 25% too the other at 50% strength. The stain I chose was Varathane forest Stain - Ash.
My describe of piece of job solid unit of measurement chose a real nighttime colouring fabric - The total forcefulness of the Ash stain. I was trying to convince them to become towards a "white-ish" flooring only nope, they kept on bespeak for a nighttime stain.
The stain was applied amongst those stain pads you lot tin also respect at Home Depot.
Once the stain dries, you lot demand to sand all the planks. I used a 120 grid sand newspaper for this.
This is how my garage looked when inward the middle of it all. I worked on the tabular array on the correct mitt side too kept on moving the planks.
For this outset coat I used foam pad/brushes similar the 1 you lot run across inward this picture, only that was a bad idea.
When the poly is applied it looks blue-ish, later on it dries is clear. The planks felt a fleck crude oil equally you lot tin run across inward the moving-picture present below. It could've been from applying the live poly amongst the foam, I spotted piddling bits of it hither too there.
Again, a lite sanding is needed.
For the 2nd too tertiary coats of poly I used a Purdy brush too ahhh, what a difference! It went actually fast. After the 2nd coat I mitt sand a distich of boards where I felt a bump or two.
The poly was applied on the move yesteryear of each plank too on all of their sides.
This is how they looked at the end.
Here the whole pile, create to live installed.
At this betoken they felt real smooth. One to a greater extent than coat of poly is going to live applied later on installation, which volition live 1 of my side yesteryear side posts.
My overall stance too then far:
It looks similar a lot of operate too it is. However, it's non a harsh harsh work.
For me, the hardest business office was the sanding too non because the planks needed lots of sanding. It was difficult on my mitt because of the weight of the sander. Even though I took my time, my correct mitt was inward pain. (though my mitt has been hurting since edifice the cupboard where I used some clamps that were real difficult to opened upward too close!)
I liked that I was able to operate on this projection piece standing up, no dorsum or articulatio genus hurting which is what you lot larn when the flooring is already installed.
It takes time, I allowed the coats of poly to dry out for at to the lowest degree 24 hours earlier applying a novel coat.
This is a small-scale room - From the thirty planks I got from the five sheets of plywood I solely finished 26 because I thought four of them await also bad, 2 of those were the ones I used to attempt the stain.
Well, that's all I tin mean value of it too then far.
For all the information most How to Install the Plywood Planks click HERE.
;)
The next are all the links to each of the projects done inward this room:


















